Get the Right Followers for Social Media Engagement

Social Media Engagement

Sometimes us as marketers can get caught up in the marketing gimmicks out there, "Get 1000 followers in one week" or "Double your sales with this", this clickbait works because we all know, it's too good to be true, but we're really hoping what marketers and bloggers are telling us is attainable.

With this message being sent to customers and businesses alike, it's easy to feel the need to buy into an idea that "what I'm doing now is not working".

These messages can make us feel like failures, but we're here to tell you, if you create a social profile and only have 20 likes after the first week, THAT'S OK!

Many businesses will buy likes to give the impression that their business is doing really well on social media. Another common one we've seen is businesses doing the classic "Like our Facebook page to be entered to win". People entering in these contests don't care about what your business has to offer, they care about winning whatever you're giving away. Using these strategies can build your followers, but will any of these followers actually become a customer? Probably not.

The purpose of social media is to get your message across to the right people at the right time. If you are doing this and even gaining only 5 followers a month, it's better to have a smaller number of followers that are actually interested in your product than 10,000 followers who would never become a customer.

So how do you get the right message out there for social media engagement?

Top 3 Tips To Grow Engaged Social Media Followers

  • Follow the 80/20 rule
  • Engage with your audience
  • Keep up with trends
  • 80/20 Rule

As a general guideline, only 20% of your content should be about your business with compelling call to actions. The remaining 80% should be content that gets your social media audience engaged and wanting to share your content. Whether that's posting an educational article, a funny video or whatever portrays the image you want for your brand.

  1. Engage With Your Social Media Audience

Engage with your audience! Respond to their messages and comments and go and like or retweet the content that they are sharing. People are more likely to engage and share your content if you're doing that with them.

  1. Keep Up With Trends

To get your social media audience engaged, you need to know what makes them tick. Unfortunately, just because you think something is awesome, doesn't mean your audience will. Do some social media stalking and see what your audience in engaging in. If you're in the agriculture business, you're probably not going to retweet something about the Kardashians, keep it relevant to grow your social media engagement.

Need help creating content or engaging with your followers on social media? Contact Sharlene to get started.

social media engagement

HubSpot partner logo